* indicates corresponding author; Underlined authors are students
(on March 20, 2019 @ Google Scholar: H-index=15, Total citations=860; @ Scopus: H-index=12, Total citations=532)
Journal Papers (Selected)
38. Choi S, Guo L, Kim J, Xiong S*, 2019. Comparison of fatal occupational injuries in construction industry in the United States, South Korea, and China. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 71: 64–74.
37. Cai L, Ma Y, Xiong S, Zhang Y. 2019. Validity and reliability of upper limb functional assessment using the Microsoft Kinect V2 sensor. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, Vol 2019, Article ID 7175240, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/7175240.
36. Qiu H, Rehman R, Yu X and Xiong S*, 2018. Application of Wearable Inertial Sensors and A New Test Battery for Distinguishing Retrospective Fallers from Non-fallers among Community-dwelling Older People. Scientific Reports 2018, 8: 16349 (Nature Publishing Group; Highlighted by Wearable Technologies)
35. Jang J, Ankit A; Kim J, Jang Y, Kim H, Kim J, Xiong S*, 2018. A unified deep-learning model for classifying the cross-country skiing techniques using wearable gyroscope sensors. Sensors, 18(11), 3819.
34. Guo L and Xiong S*, 2017. Accuracy of base of support using an inertial sensor based motion capture system. Sensors, 17(9), 2091.
33. Kim W, Xiong S* and Liang Z, 2017. Effect of loading symbol of online video on perception of waiting time. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 33 (12), 1001-1009.
32. Qiu H and Xiong S*, 2017. New Hick’s law based reaction test App reveals “information processing speed” better identifies high falls risk older people than “simple reaction time”. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 58, 25-32.
31. Choi S, Guo L, Kang D and Xiong S*, 2017. Exergame technology and interactive interventions for elderly fall prevention: A systematic literature review. Applied Ergonomics, 65: 570-581. (Most Downloaded Applied Ergonomics Articles)
30. Kim TY and Xiong S*, 2017. Comparison of seven fall risk assessment tools in community-dwelling Korean older women. Ergonomics, 60(3):421-429.
29. Hapsari VD and Xiong S*, 2016. High heeled shoes wearing experience and heel height on human standing balance and functional mobility. Ergonomics, 59 (2), 249-264. (Highlighted by Taylor & Francis Newsroom)
28. Y Siswandari and S Xiong*, 2015. Eye movements and brain oscillations to symbolic safety signs with different comprehensibility. Journal of Physiological Anthropology, 34:42.
27. Y Siswandari, W Kim and S Xiong*, 2015. Comprehension and redesign of recently introduced water-sport prohibitive symbols in South Korea. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 50, 196-205.
26. Qiu H and Xiong S*, 2015. Center-of-Pressure based postural sway measures: reliability and ability to distinguish between age, fear of falling and fall history. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 47, 28-35.
25. Radjiyev A, Qiu H, Xiong S* and Nam K, 2015. Ergonomics and sustainable development in the past two decades (1992-2011): research trends and how ergonomics can contribute to sustainable development. Applied Ergonomics, 46(PA), 67-75. (VSI on the Applied Ergonomics Best Paper Award 2015; Most Downloaded Applied Ergonomics Articles 2015-2016)
24. W Kim, Y Siswandari and S Xiong*, 2015. Comprehensibility of newly introduced water-sport prohibitive signs in Korea by Koreans and Westerners. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 34 (1).
23. Hapsari VD and Xiong S*, 2014. Effects of heel height and wearing experience on human standing balance. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, 7(S1): A97. (from I-FAB).
22. Shi N, Zhou S, Wang F, Xu S and Xiong S*, 2014. Horizontal cooperation and information sharing between suppliers in the manufacturer-supplier triad. International Journal of Production Research, 52(15), 4526-4547.
21. Xiong S* and Hapsari VD, 2014. Analysis of foot plantar pressure distribution and human limits of stability in high heel wearers. Sciencepaper Online. [2014-01-22]
20. Zhao J, Ji M, Sun M, Jia W, Yuan Z and Xiong S, 2014. Contour points based P2P algorithm for shape matching and image retrieval. Applied Mathematics and Information Sciences, 8(1), 37-43.
19. Rodrigo AS, Goonetilleke RS, and Xiong S, 2013. Load distribution to minimize pressure related pain on foot – A model. Ergonomics, 56(7), 1180-1193.
18. Xiong S, Goonetilleke RS, Rodrigo AS, and Zhao J, 2013. A model for the perception of surface pressure on human foot. Applied Ergonomics, 44(1), 1-10.
17. Zhao J, Ding Y, Goonetilleke RS, Xiong S et al., 2012. Interactive deformation simulation of manual girth measurement for limbs. Information, 15 (1), 339-346.
16. H Qiu, S Xiong*, N Su and Y Tu, 2012. Study on automatic determination of foot-arch classification parameters, their reliabilities and classifying consistency. Journal of Chinese Ergonomics Society, 1, 23-27. (In Chinese)
15. Qiu H, Xiong S*, Qu S, 2012. The processing time estimation of the hull panel roll bending based on elastic and plastic deformation theory. Journal of Harbin Engineering University, 33 (8), 948-955. (In Chinese)
14. Xiong S, Goonetilleke RS and Jiang ZH, 2011. Pressure thresholds of the human foot: measurement reliability and effects of stimulus characteristics. Ergonomics, 54(3), 282-293.
13. Dong M, Shao X, Xiong S, 2011. Flexible optimization decision for product design agility with embedded real options. Journal of Engineering Manufacture (Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B), 225 (8), 1431-1446.
12. Au E, Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP and Xiong S, 2011. A methodology for determining the allowances for fitting footwear. International Journal of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation (IJHFMS), 2(4), 341 – 366.
11. Xiong S, Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP and Rodrigo WD, 2010. An indentation apparatus for evaluating discomfort and pain thresholds in conjunction with mechanical properties of foot tissue in vivo. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 47(5), 629-642.
10. S Xiong*, J Zhao, Z Jiang and M Dong, 2010. A computer-aided design system for foot-feature based shoe last customization. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 46, 11-19.
09. Xiong S, Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP, and Au EYL, 2010. Foot-arch characterization: a review, a new metric and a comparison. Journal of The American Podiatric Medical Association, 100(1), 14-24. (Review Paper)
08. Y Ding, J Zhao, RS Goonetilleke, S Xiong, Z Yuan, 2010. An automatic method for measuring foot girths for custom footwear using local RBF implicit surfaces. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 23(6), 574-583.
07. Xiong S and Goonetilleke RS, Zhao J, Li W and Witana CP, 2009. Foot deformation under different load-bearing conditions and their relationships to stature and body weight.Anthropological Science, 117(2), 77-88.
06. Witana CP, Goonetilleke RS, Xiong S and Au EYL, 2009. Effects of surface characteristics on the plantar shape of feet and subjects’ perceived sensations. Applied Ergonomics, 40(2), 267-279. (Top 25 hottest articles from January to March 2009)
05. Witana CP, Goonetilleke RS, Au EYL, Xiong S and Lu X, 2009. Footbed shapes for enhanced footwear comfort. Ergonomics, 52(5), 617-628.
04. Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP, Zhao J and Xiong S, 2009. The pluses and minuses of obtaining measurements from digital scans. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5620, 681-690.
03. Xiong S, Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP and Au EYL, 2008. Modelling foot height and foot shape related dimensions. Ergonomics, 51(8), 1272-1289.
02. J Zhao, S Xiong, Y Bu and RS Goonetilleke, 2008. Computerized girth determination for custom footwear manufacture. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 54(3), 359-373.
01. Witana CP, Xiong S, Zhao J and Goonetilleke RS, 2006. Foot measurements from three-dimensional scans: A comparison and evaluation of different methods. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics (IJIE), 36(9), 789-807. (Most Cited Articles in IJIE from 2006-2011)
Books & Chapters
8. Radjiyev, A., Xiong, S*., Kim, K.K. 2015. New perspectives towards ergonomics in sustainable development. Book Chapter of Sustainable Development: Processes, Challenges and Prospects (Editor: Deborah Reyes), Nova Science Publishers (ISBN 978-1-63482-587-0), pp143-167.
7. Xiong S* and Karim M, 2013. A preliminary study on effects of vision, standing posture and support surface on human balance. Chapter 87 of Book of Proceedings of 2012 3rd International Asia Conference on Industrial Engineering and Management Innovation (Editor: Runliang Dou), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (ISBN 978-3-642-33012-4), pp873-880.
6. Xiong S* and Zhao J, 2013. Foot models and measurements. Chapter 4 of Handbook of Footwear Design and Manufacture (Editor: Luximon A). Woodhead Publishing /Elsevier. ( ISBN 9780857095398)
5. S Xiong, AS Rodrigo and RS Goonetilleke, 2012. Foot characteristics and related empirical models. Chapter 3 of The Science of Footwear (Series: Human Factors and Ergonomics, Editor: Goonetilleke Ravindra S), Taylor & Francis, CRC Press. (ISBN 9781439835685)
4. AS Rodrigo, RS Goonetilleke, S Xiong, 2010. Perception of pressure on foot. Chapter 10 of Advances in Ergonomics Modeling and Usability Evaluation (Editor: Tareq Z . Ahram), Taylor & Francis, CRC Press. (ISBN 9781439835036)
3. Goonetilleke RS, Witana CP and Xiong S, 2010. Science of footwear design. Chapter 23 of Handbook of human factors in consumer product design. Taylor & Francis, CRC Press. (ISBN 9781420046212)
2. S Xiong* and RS Goonetilleke, 2009. Pressure perception on the foot: Measurement, models, and psychophysics. VDM Verlag Dr.Muller, Germany (ISBN 9783639160932)
1. S Xiong*, 2008. Design and realization of footwear customization system. Chapter 13 of Case studies on applications of industrial engineering (In Chinese; Editors: Jiang Z and Xi L), Tsinghua University Press, Beijing: China (ISBN 9787302189640)
1. Method for assessing fall risk and user terminal therefor. Registration No. 10-1974831. Registration date: 2019-04-26. Application No.: 10-2016-0168727 (2016.12.12). Inventors: Xiong Shuping, Qiu Hai and Kim Woojoo.
2. 스마트폰을 이용한 자세 인식 장치 (Posture recognition apparatus using a smartphone), Registration No. 1015803170000. Registration date: 2015-12-18. Inventors: 이해빈, 임왕희, 장호준, 표정희, 김관명 and Xiong Shuping.
3. 함성 크기 표시 장치 (Display device for shout level). Patent No. 10-1296975. Registration date: 2013/08/08 (Registration No. 10-1296975). Inventors: Xiong Shuping, 김두호, 정원도, 허자인, 진준호, 김형한.
Referred Conference Papers
27. Lee S, Kim J, Kim H, Jang Y, Xiong S, Kim J et al., 2018. The possibility of classifying V1 and V2 sub-techniques of a single IMU sensor through comparison of motion-specific data (pitch, yaw and roll angle values-Orientation angle value) in XC ski. The International Conference on Biomechanics in Sport (ISBS2018), New Zealand, September 10-14, 2018.
26. Rehman R, Jang JH and Xiong S*, 2018. Usability evaluations of a newly developed wearable inertial sensing system for assessing elderly fall risk. 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics. Florida, USA, July 22-26, 2018.
25. Kim T, Choi S and Xiong S*, 2018. Relation of socio-economic factors to fall risk in Korean older people. 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics. Florida, USA, July 22-26, 2018.
24. Kim, W., Ignatius, D., Jeon, I., Moon, J., Xiong, S.* 2018. NexerciseVR: A VR-based exergame for deep neck flexor endurance exercise. SIGCHI Korea Local Chapter 2018 Spring Academic Workshop, Daejeon, South Korea, April 13, 2018.
23. Guo L and Xiong S*, 2017. A review on exergame technology for elderly fall prevention. 21st IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 2017 July 23~27. USA.
22. Kim TY and Xiong S*, 2017. What are the major risk factors for falls among community-dwelling Korean older women? 8th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2017) July 17~21. USA.
21. Kim W and Xiong S*, 2017. The effect of video loading symbol on waiting time perception. HCI International 2017 July 09~14. Canada.
20. Saftari, LN, Kwon, OS and Xiong S, 2016.Visual perception and postural balance in older adults. UNIST-JPA joint symposium 2016 on anthropological and physiological research on human living in modern society of East Asia. 2016 Sept 22~24, South Korea.
19. Taekyung Kim and Shuping Xiong*, 2016. What are the major fall risk factors for falls among community-dwelling Korean older women? UNIST-JPA joint symposium, Sep 22-24, Ulsan, ROK.
18. Woojoo Kim, Hai Qiu, and Shuping Xiong*, 2015. Feasibility of a developed reaction time test APP for assessing cognitive function and associated fall risks in the elderly. The 12th International Congress of Physiological Anthropology (ICPA2015), Oct 27-30, Chiba, Japan.
17. Xiong S*, 2015. Comprehension and redesign of water-sport prohibitive symbols in South Korea (Session: Ergonomics in Design and Technology; Session chairs: Shuping Xiong and Xiaopeng Ning). The 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE2015), July 26-30, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
16. Siswandari Y, Kim W, and Xiong S*, 2014. Comprehension of newly introduced water-sport prohibitive signs in Korea by westerners. 2014 HFES International Annual Meeting, October 27–31, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
15. Hapsari VD, Xiong S* and Yang S, 2014. High heels on human stability and plantar pressure distribution: Effects of heel height and shoe wearing experience. 2014 HFES International Annual Meeting, October 27–31, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
14. Kim W, Siswandari Y and Xiong S*, 2014. Evaluation of comprehensibility of newly introduced water-sport prohibitive signs in Korea. ACED 2014 May 21-24, Jeju, ROK.
13. Qiu H and Xiong S*, 2013. The influence of foot sizes on human balance. 2013 HFES International Annual Meeting, September 30-October 4, 2013. San Diego, California, USA.
12. Hai Qiu and Shuping Xiong*, 2013. A preliminary study on dynamic balance performances during normal walking with high-heeled shoes. Ergonomics Society of Korea (ESK) Spring Conference, May 23 – 24, 2013. Ulsan, South Korea.
11. Vaniessa Dewi Hapsari and Shuping Xiong*, 2013. Effects of high heeled shoes on limits of stability in young women. Ergonomics Society of Korea (ESK) Spring Conference, May 23 – 24, 2013. Ulsan, South Korea.
10. Qiu H and Xiong S*, 2012. Reliability and validity of the parameters for assessing human static balance ability (in Chinese). 8th Chinese Ergonomics Society (CES) Symposium, Nov 29-Dec 2, 2012. Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. (Best CES Conference Paper)
09. Ayubkhon R, Kim KM and Xiong S, 2012. Graphical representations of sustainable development: A literature review. Korean Society of Design Science (KSDS) Conference. Oct 27, 2012, Seoul, South Korea.
08. S Xiong* and M Karim, 2012. A preliminary study on effects of vision, standing posture and support surface on human balance. The 3rd International Asia Conference on Industrial Engineering and Management Innovation, August 10-11, 2012, Beijing, China
07. S Xiong*, Y Li, Y Zhu and J Qian, 2010. Foot measurements from 2D digital images. The IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), 7-10 Dec 2010, Macau.
06. RS Goonetilleke and S Xiong, 2010. Pressure effects on sensation. 3rd International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE2010), 17-20 July, 2010. Miami, Florida, USA.
05. N Shi, S Yi, S Xiong*and Z Jiang, 2009. A CAD system for shoe last customization. International Joint Conference on Computational Sciences and Optimization(CSO), 2009，vol. 1, pp.957-960.
04. Xiong S* and Goonetilleke RS., 2009. Pressure perception on foot. Proceedings of International Ergonomics Association (IEA), 9-14 August 2009, Beijing, China.
03. S Xiong, CP Witana, and RS Goonetilleke., 2007. The use of a foot dorsal height model for the design of wellington boots. Agriculture Ergonomics Development Conference (AEDEC, 2007), 25-29 November, 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. pp. 65-70.
02. Xiong S and Goonetilleke RS, 2007. Can we do away with those cumbersome shoe laces? 8th Pan-Pacific Conference on Occupational Ergonomics (PPCOE, 2007,Oct), Thailand.
01. Xiong S and Goonetilleke RS, 2006. Midfoot shape for the design of ladies’ shoes. BME2006 Biomedical Engineering Conference, 21-23 Sept, 2006. HK. pp. 158-160.